Get Involved and Volunteer With Us
We are looking for flexible, dedicated and enthusiastic volunteers who have a positive attitude and are ready to dedicate some of their time to supporting the Greening the Desert Project's vision and mission. As a volunteer at the Greening The Desert Project you will gain experience working with a wide range of arid climate permaculture techniques, you will gain an understanding of what plant species do well in this climate, and how to conserve water. You will get to work with our small scale animal systems (rabbits and chickens). No two days are ever the same at the Greening The Desert Project site. As you can imagine, our days can be busy, challenging, exciting, frustrating and rewarding all at the same time.
1. Before submitting your application please check the calendar to ensure there is availability for your dates.
2. Please ensure you complete ALL sections of the application form. We will not review applications that have not been completed fully.
3. Volunteer placements will start on a Monday and we ask that you arrive between 9am and 2pm on Sunday. If it is impossible for you to arrive on a Sunday, please provide details so we can try to accommodate you.
4. You will be living communally on the campsite, as such you will be encouraged to participate in simple daily chores that ensure the health and hygiene of the farm and the camp area.
5. You need to bring your own tent/camper, sleeping gear, mattress and towels. Please note, that we have 10 camping shelters. These are distributed to students in the first instance. If you miss out on a sheltered site, don’t worry, there is plenty of camping space.
6. Please be aware that we provide food and cooking facilities for you to cook all your own meals five days a week – from Saturday to Thursday evening. but on Fridays, you will need to purchase or bring your own supplies. You can do this by taking a trip into the local towns, Al Jofah or South Shonah to buy food supplies 5 - 10min by car, or by buying food at the nearby local shop 10min walking form the project. and you can off course also have your meals at the Greening the desert project cafe.
7. If you have any special dietary concerns, please let us know prior to arrival and we will do our best to cater for you. However, please be aware that while we will do our best to accommodate dietary needs we operate with limited human resources and therefore we cannot promise to cater for anything other than vegetarians and those who have a standard diet (i.e. we cannot commit to catering for vegans, gluten free diets etc). For your interest, much of our food is grown on site and all drinking water is harvested rainwater.
8. It is important that you adhere to The Greening the Desert Etiquette policy at all times whilst on the farm, failure to do so will result in you being asked to leave the farm.
9. Before applying please ensure you are happy to comply with all of the terms in the (soon to be added)MOU. You will be asked to sign and accept these terms prior to commencing the placement.
10. Greening The Desert Project is a demonstration site. We are continuously evolving systems and researching new systems.
11. The Greening The Desert Project is in a remote location and is not well serviced by public transport. If you don’t have a vehicle you may find it difficult to get to and from the farm. However, the Team do carpool so this can help you to get into town and/or to visit the local areas.
12. International applicants; Please note that we are unfortunately unable to provide any assistance in obtaining Jordanian visas. Please take the time to consider all your visa options and feasibilities prior to submitting an application.